Researching, developing, and transitioning advances in separation architectures, model-based system engineering, and mathematical analysis.
- Safety & Security AnalysisAnalyze system models for gaps in safety and security compliance, and generate documentation to support certification requirements.
- Real-time Operating System SchedulingProvide end-to-end, system-wide schedulabilty analysis, and generate real-time operating system (RTOS) schedules and configuration information
- Embedded System Tradespace AnalysisSupport least-commitment design strategies by continuously evaluating embedded system design alternatives against diverse requirements.
- Isolation TechnologyEnable virtual security enclaves within a single physical server
What’s next: Innovative research examining hard problems of national importance.
- Weird MachinesAnticipating vulnerabilities related to computer systems that employ artificial intelligence
- Education InnovationDelivering game-based education to adolescents and young adults
- Automated Behavior AnalysisDetecting vulnerabilities in embedded systems using timed automata (VOLTA)
- Code GenerationAutomating the integration of cyber-resilient components in complex systems
- About Us
Constraint-based reasoning; User interface design and development; Model-based engineering
Alex Mahrer has made significant contributions in the domains of model-based systems engineering, automated reasoning, and cyber security. He is the lead UI developer on Adventium's CAMET® suite of model-based system engineering tools, including the NASA-funded CAFFMAD tool which enables users to explore trade space analyses on design options in accordance with the principle of least-commitment design.
As part of DARPA's AIMEE program, Alex is applying recent advances in automata theory on Adventium's DECIMAL program for use in the detection of emergent computation vectors in system models.
On SLICED, Adventium’s Navy-funded tool that analyzes behavioral models to detect system errors early in the design process, Alex assumed the role of tech lead in the development of cross-platform tools for analyzing, visualizing, and debugging sequences of state transitions across a composite state machine model.
As part of Adventium's secure hypervisor project, Magrana Server, Alex designed and developed UI for administering Magrana Server instances across multiple platforms. In addition,
Alex assisted in the development of an open source Virtual Cyber Defender Introspection Appliance (VCD-IA), enabling agentless defense of virtual machines running on the Xen hypervisor.
Alex contributed to the design and development of Adventium's AMBORO system, a constraint‐based network configuration optimizer developed as part of DARPA's Mission‐oriented Resilient Clouds (MRC) program.
M.S. in Computer Science, University of Minnesota B.S. in Computer Science and Mathematics, North Dakota State University